Friday, February 22, 2008

Wuxi 10 [07/02 - 08/03]

I came back to the city of Wuxi on the 7th February (the first day of the Chinese New Year). Surprisingly, I find much of the stalls and restaurants to be opened on this day. The southern region of the Jiangsu province rarely snow but this year is an exception, with the roads and walkways covered with snow. Though it stopped snowing when I arrived, but there are still large traces of snow on the sides.

Photobucket


Throughout the entire 15 days of Chinese New Year, there were consistently fireworks being released into the sky. Notably the first 3 days of the Chinese New Year, the 5th day which is to usher in the God of Wealth and finally on the 15th which is to celebrate the first full moon of the year (元宵). I have already shared lots of fireworks video for the eve of the CNY celebration for 2007. This time round I will be sharing the fireworks display at the city centre shot from my hotel room on the 15th.

Photobucket





I made my way down to Nanzenji (南禅寺) which is a 15mins walk from where I stay. This place is packed with people and is the focal point for the celebration of the 15th. I was quite impressed by the night lighting provided by the temple when my cab passes by it a few days back. So I decide to make it a point to capture a snapshot of it below.

Photobucket


There are many lanterns floating in the sky against the backdrop of the full moon, giving it a magical feel to the entire skyline. These floating lanterns are call Kong Ming Lanterns (孔明灯).

Photobucket


The year 2008 is the year of the rat. So there are many mouse manniquins on display. One of my Japanese colleague is amused by the design of these mouse manniquins so I also capture a shot of it.

Photobucket


Meal Time in Wuxi
Throughout the entire one month in Wuxi, my afternoon lunch is mostly (95%) Korean crusine. I find Korean food to be somewhat similar to Singapore's food, it is spicy. For dinner, it is divided amongst Korean, Japanese, Chinese and KFC. In my previous one year stay in Wuxi, I have preference for Japanese restaurants. But in the current month, I have began to develop a liking for Korean food, especially their spicy hot steamboat. Basisoiyo!