Monday, April 25, 2011

Pengerang Korean Zen Retreat 2 [21/04 - 25/04]

I'm in the midst of a job transition and what better way to use the free time than to go for a retreat. Coincidentally during the few days, there is a Korean Zen Retreat organised by Kwan Im Zen Centre. I went for a similar retreat last year May and here I am at it again.

I rendezvous with the rest at 1.30pm at the Changi Point ferry terminal. And off we go on the bumboat again. It cost S$15 (original is S$10). The additional S$5 comes from the bumboat ferrying 8 people instead of the usual 12.

Photobucket

Thereafter we hop on the cab and arrive at the Pengarang Zen Centre. Here are my bowls and chopsticks.

Photobucket

The programme is pretty much the same as last year's.

Photobucket

And here I am back to the same male's quarters.

Photobucket

And where I will be spending the next 3 full days.

Photobucket

At the start of the retreat, there is a briefing to the guys.

Photobucket

And the ladies, conducted by a senior below.

Photobucket

During my morning and evening free time, I will be taking a walk on the stone path below.

Photobucket

While hanging around, I noticed flowers blooming in a small pond below.

Photobucket

I went back on the 25th April (Monday), leaving at 7.30am with a fellow friend. We took the ferry from Belungkor (refer to the post on Desaru) where it departs at 8.30am. The taxi ride cost RM$50 and the ferry another RM$45. And we arrived back in Singapore at 9am.

The retreat has been quite physically demanding with the 108 prostrations each morning. By the second day, most people can barely climb the stairs. Though by the 3rd day, our physique are getting used to it.

The main bugbear which everyone agrees to are the mosquitos. I have many bites and it's giving me the itch. Next time round, will need to bring along insect repellent or good anti-itch antidote.

Venerable Chi Boon is a great zen master and there is much to learn from him. From this retreat, I have reflected on many matters of life and it changed a few of my outlook.

Now back in Singapore, I'm fully charged and ready to take on my new role. ^_^